Mommy Monday: Natalie

8:00 AM


Dearest Friends,

Natalie is a mother, a wife, and co-founder of The Boston Day Book, a curated guide to life in Boston. I'm so honored to feature her in a new monthly segment on my blog titled, "Mommy Mondays." I got to ask Natalie about all of her favorite beauty products, Boston area restaurants and most importantly, her thoughts on motherhood... 




Q YOUR DAY IN A NUTSHELL
Every day is a little bit different, but that's what I love! My son, Milo just started daycare and I've been sending him most mornings. It's only two blocks from our house, so we'll take a nice stroll around 7:30 or 8am and then I'll head back home or to a nearby coffee shop to do some work for the blog. I usually pick Milo up around 1 or 2pm, and then we have the afternoon to enjoy together. We meet up with friends, go to our weekly Little Groove music class (he loves music!), or head to the park. Milo goes to bed at 7pm, and I cherish the evenings at home with my husband. We cook dinner, relax, and as the weather starts to get nicer -- enjoy our back patio with something on the grill and glass of wine in hand!


Q ALWAYS IN YOUR DIAPER BAG
The essentials: snacks (always have Mumm-Mumms and a few pouches for Milo, and a granola bar for myself), wipes (love Water Wipes), a few small toys to prevent meltdowns :), a phone charger (always running out of juice!), lip balm (currently using and loving Osmia Organic's Lip Doctor), and a little lip color to make me feel put together (I always have a pot of RMS Beauty's Sacred). I'm still nursing, so I always have my nursing cover and try to bring water with me if I don't forget!


Q WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO RECIPE FOR DINNER IN FIFTEEN MINUTES
My husband, Matt is the cook in our house, but lately I've been taking a turn in the kitchen. It's been fun to make easy dinners for the three of us to enjoy. Matt and I love to cook pizza - it's the easiest weeknight meal, and bonus: there are always leftovers. We usually just buy the dough and sauce from Whole Foods and then fresh mozzarella, basil, onion and sometimes pepperoni on top. It's easy to make and always delicious. To make it a little healthier, I love to make a big salad with crisp romaine lettuce and a homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, Dijon mustard, and chopped shallot.





Q EVERY MOTHER NEEDS TO FIND BALANCE. WHERE DO YOU FIND YOURS
Honestly, this has been a tough one for me! Milo just started daycare a few weeks ago, and up until recently, I have had a hard time finding balance. A mother's job is never over, and some evenings I would be too tired to do anything for myself. Now that I have daycare, I'm feeling so much more balanced. I have time to do work, take an exercise class (love yoga and spinning), and even have time to take a shower and do a short meditation! Self-care is so important, and it feels good to have the energy to do it more habitually.


Q WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO AN EXPECTING MOTHER
My advice would be to enjoy every stage (even the hard ones) because they go so quickly. You'll feel nostalgic even for the challenging moments. This love is so great and each day it will deepen. Find a few mom friends who you can relate to, and in those early weeks go to support groups, Mommy & Me yoga, and join local neighborhood groups. It's so important to feel supported and to connect with people in a similar situation -- plus, you might make some great new friends both for you and your baby!


Q WHAT ARE YOUR MORNING AND NIGHTLY BEAUTY RITUALS
I love this. I love rituals, and I am trying to get back into them as Milo's sleep becomes a little more consistent. In the evening, I love to relax with my husband. We both tend to work a lot in the evenings, but I try to get off my phone and computer as much as possible and have time to just unwind without the screen. I love to do face masks (my current favorites are May Lindstrom's Problem Solver and Tata Harper's Resurfacing Mask). I double cleanse my face in the evenings starting with an oil cleanser (I use One Love Organics Vitamin B Cleansing Oil), and I love taking my makeup off! In the morning, Milo usually wakes me up around 7am. I am not a morning person, but I'm thinking to put my alarm on for a 6:30am so that I have time to meditate and focus before the day begins. I love that quiet time. Since having a baby, my husband and I have become such night owls!


Q WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE FITNESS STUDIOS IN BOSTON? FAVORITE RESTAURANTS? 
For yoga, I love Radiant Yoga in South Boston and Exhale in the Back Bay (David Magone's classes are my favorite). Lately, I've been really into SoulCycle, and I also like Recycle Studio and The Handle Bar. We have so many great studios in Boston! There are also so many great restaurants, but my tried and true favorites are Picco, Sarma, and we love going to The Paramount in South Boston on the weekends. My husband also owns a distillery in Everett called Short Path Distillery. I am there a lot -- and they often have food trucks on the weekend, or you can bring your own food. They make the yummiest cocktails.




Q NAME YOUR 5 HEALTHY LIVING MUST-HAVES?
Water! I love feeling hydrated and as a mom, I'm finding that I can never have enough water. Exercise - I dealt with some pretty serious post-partum anxiety and exercise, especially cardio has been a huge help for me. It clears my mind. I love taking care of my skin (I did the marketing for Follain for two years) and especially love anything by Josh Rosebrook, May Lindstrom, and Tata Harper. I also love getting massages (Heather Becton Hunt in Arlington is the best) and facials (I love Brad Duncan Skincare) when I can afford the splurge. I enjoy listening to podcasts and meditations (especially Deepak Chopra's daily affirmations) both for inspiration and balance. There are so many ways that we can take care of and feed ourselves, it's just about finding the time and fitting it in.







Images via Instagram



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe