Mommy Spotlight: Sarah Justice

8:00 AM


Dearest Friends,

This week as a tribute to upcoming Mother's Day, I wanted to shine the spotlight on three mothers who practice healthy lifestyles in their own ways. The spotlights are honest, fun and candid interviews with women I admire. They make challenging and creative choices in their quest for balance as women and mothers. I hope you laugh, cry, and learn from each of their stories. 


I'm so happy to introduce you to Sarah Justice, part-time working mother of three, who I'm lucky enough to call sister-in-law. Sarah has always been a fitness junkie and when her youngest started school, she thought why not get paid to do what she loves! You can now find her at CycleBar Denver as a Cyclestar instructor. Sarah is proof that you can have the best body of your life after having three children... in four years! Last summer, we spent a lot of time together and she's been a great mentor to me when it comes to parenting and health. Her motto is "live in the gray" when it comes to clean eating. She eats a very balanced diet of protein, vegetables, and complex carbohydrates while still indulging in her favorite wine and pizza. Follow her journey (@sarahjcyclebar) for balance when it comes to raising children and living a healthy lifestyle. Happy Mother's Day Sarah!


Q YOUR DAY IN A NUTSHELL 

4:00am wake up and silently say F. Listen to my playlist in the company of an espresso shot. 
5:30am CycleBar class! 
7:00am Back home to the kids just waking up. Kiss hubs goodbye and dig into the kids morning routine. Breakfast, dress, lunches. I TRY to be present and not check social media and email but sometimes I have to hide in my pantry with my phone while my kids fight over nothing. 
8:00am School drop off. Herding three kittens into the car with lunch boxes, homework, etc. is harder than my 5:30am class. Underwear and brushed teeth often don't make it. I've had to embrace the chaos. It's against ever fiber of my being but I'm practicing. 
Finally free time! Sometimes it's a yoga class and a few house chores, other times it's appointments and coffee with a friend. 
12:00pm CycleBar class followed by lunch, shower and playlist creation for next day's class. 
3:00pm School pick up and free time with the kids or after school activities. 
6:00pm Family dinner. It's not pretty but we're all here. 
7:30pm Bedtime for the littles. 
9:00pm hello, goodbye and goodnight for hubs because tomorrow morning is another 4:00am wake-up.



Q HOW DO YOU BALANCE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE WHILE BEING A BUSY MOMMY

I have learned over the past eight years as a mom to prioritize taking care of myself. If I don't practice self care I can't take care of my family the way I want to. This includes: Sleep - I crave unhealthy food and can't be on the top of my game parenting/teaching/exercising if I'm exhausted; Movement - it's my passion and happy place. I schedule classes like appointments and for the most part slot in everything else around them; Childcare - my husband and I are a true team when it comes to childcare and we budget money for childcare so that we can stay healthy and happy as individuals and as a couple. 

Q WHAT ARE YOUR MORNING AND NIGHTLY BEAUTY RITUALS?

If I'm teaching an insanely early class at CycleBar I skip the face wash and simply splash water on my face. I'll use Beautycounter dew skin tinted moisturizer to perk up my face. After class I'll cleanse more carefully and add serum, face oil, more tinted moisturizer and I'm ready to dash out the door for school drop-off. If I have somewhere else to go I'll apply concealer and bronzer. All of my lipsticks/gloss are in my giant tote bag because the only place I put them on is in the car. At night, I ALWAYS wash my face no matter how late it is and how many glasses of wine were consumed. More facial oil (Colorado's dry air is killer), nighttime moisturizer and sometimes eye cream if I can manage and that's it. Lastly, I found this amazing breathing method in a magazine that I swear by for falling asleep. To do it: Breath in slowly for a count of 4, hold that breath for a count of 7 then release it slowly for a count of 8. Repeat at least 4x. Kind of like counting sheep but better. 



Q EVERY MOTHER NEEDS TO FIND BALANCE. WHERE DO YOU FIND YOURS

Having a part-time job outside of being a mom of three young kids and CEO of my household has been the number one sanity saver for me. Yoga, meditation, alone time, breaks from technology and baths are also key for me. After a lifetime of grinding myself into the ground, I now "practice" trying not to crush myself daily until I literally break down and need to go on vacation and instead try to remind myself it's a marathon and not a sprint. When I'm super busy with family or work life I try to do fewer high intensity workouts and incorporate more mind body movement (yoga, pilates, rest days). When things are quieter (relative term mama's), I go harder in my workouts. 


Q WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO RECIPE FOR DINNER IN FIFTEEN MINUTES

Hands down Taco Tuesday. I change up the protein to keep it fresh (grass-fed ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, fish if I'm motivated). I skip the seasoning packets (so much sodium and they usually contain MSG & other nasty stuff) and make my own: 2T onion powder, 1T chili powder, 1t cumin, oregano, salt, and 1/2t garlic powder. For myself, I use hard corn shells or make a taco salad with greens and a few healthy tortilla chips (I like Late July or Way Better whole grain corn chips). Hubs and kids like soft tortillas. Toppings include: Whole Foods fresh pico de gallo and guacamole, lettuce, olives, hot sauce, and a little shredded cheese. Everyone makes their own, even my four year old. Carrots and cucumber sticks for a vegetable. Boom. Done. Crowd pleaser. 

Q WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE FOR AN EXPECTING MOTHER

The first month or two of your baby's life is not what the rest of your life will be like. Everything is a phase and everything passes. There will always be challenges as a parent but the challenges constantly change. And as hard as it is to be a parent there is nothing in the world as humbling or rewarding as a child's love. 





Q HOW DO YOU PRACTICE BEING A CONFIDENT MOMMY

This is admittedly hard. I constantly try to educate myself when it comes to child development, parenting and self-help but I think what's even more important is learning to hear and listen to that little voice inside of us. It can get drowned out by well-meaning family, friends and social media and when we become disconnected to our inner guide it's easy to feel lacking in self-confidence and isolated. I take the time to disconnect from the outside noise and to give that little voice a fighting chance to be heard. I find that mine speaks most clearly to me when I'm doing what I love to do: being outside, physical activity and connecting face-to-face with a relative or close friend. 

Q ANY OTHER HEALTH & WELLNESS TIPS YOU'D LIKE TO SHARE

I started adding a scoop of collagen powder to my warm water first thing in the morning. My hair, nails and skin appear to have benefitted. I swear by my foam roller and epsom salt baths for sore muscles. I can usually be found listening to The Balanced Blonde's Podcast and shopping online at Carbon38 and I'm an Ambassador for them (First time buyers use my discount code: SARAHJUS50). 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe